Character Creation & Backstory
OK, I think that the first step is that we should all create our characters. That’s pretty simple, just use the 4th Ed Player’s Handbook.
Also, in order to make the story work a little better, can you prepare a short (1 page?) backstory for your character. Try to keep you character of good alignment, but remember that characters with a darker past often make more interesting stories. When you think of your past, maybe these worlds help: guilt, self-righteous, revenge, grief, outcast, prejudice, duty, cowardic
Also, try not to create a backstory that is too dramatic or glorious. After all, you are still 1st level. It would seem anti-climatic to start a 1st level adventure if your backstory says that you had slayed dragons and emperors in your past!
As an idea, try answering the following questions:
- Where were you born? What was your family and upbringing like?
- How did you acquire your class? Self-taught or trained?
- How did you acquire your starting equipment? Was it a gift or did you save up for it?
- Do you keep in contact with anyone from your past: family, mentor, friend?
- Are you religious? If so, what god do you follow?
- What do you look like?
- Do you have any unusual mannerisms?
OK, I know the general idea for the adventure we are going to play, and I was hoping that you guys could help me work your characters into the story at the beginning. I’ve put in a little intro here:
Douven Staul is a kind old human priest who worships the path of Bahamut, the god of protection and justice. Douven has always been a vigilant and courageous man, but age and a battle-hardened existence have caught up with him, and he no longer has the strength and righteous vigour of his youth. He currently spends his waning years in the temple of Bahamut in Fallcrest, offering council and giving help to those in need.
Several months ago, Douven bid the other members of his temple farewell and headed out for Winterhaven, a small village about one week’s travel to the west of Fallcrest. He was tight-lipped about his reasons, but he did say something about a coming darkness and that evil must be stopped. Nobody has heard from Douven since, and people are starting to get worried. What happened to him?
Can you guys figure out how your characters work into the story by answering a few questions:
- How do you know Douven Staul? Is he a mentor? A friend? Were you hired to find him?
- Do your characters know each other? How did you all gather together?